Wednesday, May 26, 2004
Distribution of Labour
Raising Leelee is not an easy job. It is a 24 hour, non-paying job with no vacation or sick leave. The perks are many but not in any material form. I would apply for this job again if I had to but would have a better understanding of what it entails the next time.
Having said that, I think most parents deal with issues of 'who does more'.
Leelee's Daddy works a 9 hour day. He wakes up early, goes to work, works hard all day and then comes home.
The way I look at it though, he gets his exercise in because he bikes to work. He gets some fresh air and alone-time and I would absolutely LOVE some of that. He gets to interact with adults and have stimulating conversations. I mostly talk to Leelee which means repeating the same things over and over again and saying things like 'Milk? Want Milk? Leelee wants milk?". So yes, he does have to work, but really, I am not sitting at home, in front of the TV, eating bon-bons. I am doing laundry, vacuuming, making beds, changing diapers, putting Leelee down for a nap, running errands between naps, making dinner etc. Most days, I do not get to shower till Leelee's Daddy comes home. So in terms of distribution of labour, I do feel like I do more. So when Leelee's Dad comes home, I think he should take over. For the most part he does. This means putting Leelee to bed, changing all diapers at night and sometimes feeding her dinner. Seems fair to me.
Having said that, I think most parents deal with issues of 'who does more'.
Leelee's Daddy works a 9 hour day. He wakes up early, goes to work, works hard all day and then comes home.
The way I look at it though, he gets his exercise in because he bikes to work. He gets some fresh air and alone-time and I would absolutely LOVE some of that. He gets to interact with adults and have stimulating conversations. I mostly talk to Leelee which means repeating the same things over and over again and saying things like 'Milk? Want Milk? Leelee wants milk?". So yes, he does have to work, but really, I am not sitting at home, in front of the TV, eating bon-bons. I am doing laundry, vacuuming, making beds, changing diapers, putting Leelee down for a nap, running errands between naps, making dinner etc. Most days, I do not get to shower till Leelee's Daddy comes home. So in terms of distribution of labour, I do feel like I do more. So when Leelee's Dad comes home, I think he should take over. For the most part he does. This means putting Leelee to bed, changing all diapers at night and sometimes feeding her dinner. Seems fair to me.
Comments:
<< Home
I agree - also perhaps its a kind of stress relief for the office-going parent to do things like diaper changes, baby talk, putting baby to sleep etc.
Most of our jobs these days are at the desk and involve mental stress and mental activity so its nice to come home and do chores like cooking or cleaning.
Having said that - the only way I do any chores when I go home is if i get a nice hot cup of tea.
PS the way I see it might as well eat bon-bons any change you get!
Post a Comment
Most of our jobs these days are at the desk and involve mental stress and mental activity so its nice to come home and do chores like cooking or cleaning.
Having said that - the only way I do any chores when I go home is if i get a nice hot cup of tea.
PS the way I see it might as well eat bon-bons any change you get!
<< Home
