Friday, March 11, 2005
Naps
Nap time is still frustrating to me. Bedtime we have figured out. We have a set routine and she is usually tired and goes down without a fuss. These past few days she has been waking around 10.00p and only goes back to sleep if she is in bed with us. So far we are okay with this but I hope she goes back to her crib soon. We have a full size bed and there just isn't enough room for 3 of us, especially if one is sleeping horizontally!
Anyway, back to naptime. Why the frustration?
Well, first, Leelee wakes up around 5.30am-6.00am. Yes, this is terribly early but I guess she is like her dad. It works out fine because her dad gets to spend the morning with her, feed her breakfast, play and then he goes to work.
Sometimes if I put her down for a nap around 8.30am, she naps for an hour and a half. Sometimes, she doesn't. Invariably she ends up pooping and so the changing of diaper etc. gets her excited. So sometimes she will go back to sleep, but sometimes not.
If she does not take the 8.30am nap, then by 10.30am she is REALLY tired. However, on a day like today, she has the Kindermusik class at 10.00am. I feel terrible sending her off to class when she looks like she is going to need a nap soon. I am not sure why, but her sleep is the one hot button for me. I hate when people disturb her sleep. I hate when she does not nap when she is tired and I hate when she has to delay her nap. It literally gets my blood pressure up.
I guess the reason for not being easy going about her naps is that we have struggled with her sleep from when she was born. I know they tell you not to expect to sleep the first few weeks but for months we had to deal with night waking and inconsistent nap times. It was really wearing on patience. And when you hear stories of kids who take 3 hour naps and slept through the night at 6 weeks old, you really want to take a gun and kill that other person.
Anyway, so that is my rant about naps and sleep.
Anyway, back to naptime. Why the frustration?
Well, first, Leelee wakes up around 5.30am-6.00am. Yes, this is terribly early but I guess she is like her dad. It works out fine because her dad gets to spend the morning with her, feed her breakfast, play and then he goes to work.
Sometimes if I put her down for a nap around 8.30am, she naps for an hour and a half. Sometimes, she doesn't. Invariably she ends up pooping and so the changing of diaper etc. gets her excited. So sometimes she will go back to sleep, but sometimes not.
If she does not take the 8.30am nap, then by 10.30am she is REALLY tired. However, on a day like today, she has the Kindermusik class at 10.00am. I feel terrible sending her off to class when she looks like she is going to need a nap soon. I am not sure why, but her sleep is the one hot button for me. I hate when people disturb her sleep. I hate when she does not nap when she is tired and I hate when she has to delay her nap. It literally gets my blood pressure up.
I guess the reason for not being easy going about her naps is that we have struggled with her sleep from when she was born. I know they tell you not to expect to sleep the first few weeks but for months we had to deal with night waking and inconsistent nap times. It was really wearing on patience. And when you hear stories of kids who take 3 hour naps and slept through the night at 6 weeks old, you really want to take a gun and kill that other person.
Anyway, so that is my rant about naps and sleep.